Faculty of Social Science
Faculty of Social Science has been established based on a mission toward the people and society. This faculty is established to train professional professors, specialized, committed and up-to-date staff in various sectors such as History, Archaeology, Psychology and Art. The urgent need for specialized knowledge in the mentioned fields led to the establishment of the faculty of Social Science within the framework of Balkh University in 1392 SH.
It should be noted that before the establishment of the faculty of Social Science, faculty of General History was operating within the framework of faculty of Literature and Humanities in 1369 which was one of the largest operating departments under the named faculty, but after 1392, this department along with departments of Archaeology, Psychology and Fine Arts were included in the framework of the faculty of Social Science. Six departments allowed to operate in this faculty; out of which four departments are active with undergraduate students and the other two are inactive due to the lack of a suitable place and academic staff. Currently, 704 students are studying in this faculty.
1. Department of General History (active)
2. Department of Archaeology (active)
3. Department of Psychology and Educational Science (active)
4. Department of Fine Arts (active)
5. Department of Philosophy (inactive)
6. Department of sociology (inactive)
It is noteworthy that currently 21 members of this faculty are engaged in teaching and academic activities. So far, 804 students have graduated from the day shift program and 160 from night shift program of this faculty.
Note: Graduates of faculty of Social Science are different according to the activities of the departments and these differences are as follow:
1. Department of General History, which was separated from the faculty of Literature and Humanities and promoted to faculty of Social Science, attracted students for the first time in 1369 and had its first graduation in 1372. From that date on, the students enroll and graduate. However, its graduates are belonged to the faculty of Social Science because the department of General History has become part of Social Science Faculty in 1392. It also got licensed to operate night shift in 1391.
2. Department of Archaeology enrolled students in 1392, and they had their first graduate batch in 1395 for the first time.
3. Department of Psychology and Educational Science enrolled students in 1393 and in 1396 they graduated their students for the first time and they enrolled students in the night shift from 1395 onwards.
4. Department of Fine Arts enrolled students in 1393 and had its first round of graduates to the community in 1396.